Friday, April 30, 2010

Upgrading to 10.04 LTS Ubuntu, taking more than 19 hours??!

I started the upgrade to the latest Lucid Lynx Ubuntu 10.04 LTS near 11PM, April 30, and went to sleep. When I woke up in the morning, there was an input box informing me that third party software will not be automatically upgraded and asking me to cancel or continue. Of course, I clicked on continue, and was told that the upgrade will take more than 19 hours.

Oh nuts, anyway here is a snapshot of the still running apt-get process.



Lesson: go to sleep only when the upgrade is starting to get the files from the Ubuntu servers.

Of course, I am hoping nothing is broken when the upgrade is over. I actually have the iso already downloaded, but I want to see and write about the online upgrading process.

I checked the iso but it is of the wrong size! So I am using the more reliable wget commnad like this:

wget -ct 0 http://mirror.umoss.org/ubuntu-iso/lucid/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-amd64.iso

But I still have to wait for 3h 23 minutes as I write this at 10:42PM of May 1, 2010. This is better than the browsers download tool be it firefox or chrome which will cost you more than 19 hours!


Nuts. You cannot use a desktop installer for upgrading. Instead you have to download the alternate install CD. Visit the site Lucid Lynx Releases to download the specific version you need.

Now I have to wait at least 3 hours to finish the downloading. There is a technique to use to save you from burning a CD. It is to mount the iso as a cd! We will discuss the method after we successfully implement it.

No comments:

Post a Comment